confessions of a struggling poet

thrty-two, three and four


this poem is not written by me. it is by mr. alfonso santos- a filipino poet. i dedicate this poem to a friend of mine whom i had a falling out with recently. i miss her- and i doubt that she misses me too.

carla, here's one for you...

thirty two: etude in blue

It is not so much the sadness of the night
nor the loneliness of the sea
that cuts through the heart
as it is the memory
of a tenderness now turned to spite
a devotion now changed to indifference

Ah! if memory could be wiped away
and thought were but flesh to die--
then sorrow would have no lasting pain
nor grief a history that hurts
-- Alfonso Santos
---------------------------

thirty-three: water cycle
in the most desolate of nights
the mere thought of you
washes the anxiety in
my heart...

closed and

unloving

away...

down the riverbanks of my present
to my mind's oceans-- my forgotten past
to be evaporated by the sun of sweet tomorrow...
and mesh with the clouds of my memories

only to become the rain that feeds the greenery that we stand on...

---- this actually, is a spur of the moment poem...


----------------------------
thirty four: MAY

in afternoons like these
i look at you
and my heart shouts out

words of joy that

pencils can't sketch
paint can't fill in
and my words can't immortalize

remind me

to thank the sun
for sharing it's light
to frame the contours of your perfect body

you look at me

like i am delicate china.

i turn my back on you- because i think otherwise

and i find myself thanking the bed we lie on
for embracing us warmly
while we made love

i can hear my mind...

thanking my eyes for waking up to today
and my feet for being fast enough to walk, to run...

i cup your face in my right hand.

i feel a waterfall of invisible tears flowing out in all the crevices of my body.

this incomparable feeling of completeness...
has taken over me.

(9:54PM)

---- this one's for you, koibito :)

------------------------------------------

ahh.... what coffee can do for a poet's blood! i've posted 2 original poems today. both of them spur of the moment creations. 2 of them for the same person :)

good night

1 Comments:

Blogger Samuel Goh Kim Eng said...

More often than not,
you write poems for yourself first

Even if they are meant for others to read

You really need to quench in advance your own thirst

Before you get your final products from your reed

10:02 PM  

<< Home