confessions of a struggling poet

twenty


this poem is dedicated to the two people who made me write again. my lancelot and guenivire. the cosmopolitan tristan and isolde.

i would like to emphasize the fact... the very sad fact that in this damn, unfair world. we are only permitted to dream dreams once. and act out a perfectly good scene without cuts. without retakes.

imagine yourselves in a poetry bar. the stage is small, the lights, red and orange... flickering. the air smells like fruity perfume and cigarettes. you sip cheap beer from the clear, plastic glass. to relieve yourself from that terrible pang that makes your insides twitch and turn.


the announcer sits on his table with a chunky cigar on his lips. he is crying

man: damn those things they say about destiny.
fuck destiny. screw those things they call promise. spit at those cards that end in forever.
(the announcer throws the cards) this is my story.

a girl runs on stage. she is dressed in white, she has jet black hair and a pale face

girl: (bongos play a slow, steady beat. the girl looks above)


"then you left"

alone
alone
alone

darkness is no stranger to me,
all that is left of me is memories
nothing but silly, foolish movies in my mind
that i play...

again
and again
and again.

i walk around the streets

everything is black and white.

there are no flowers,
there is no YOU.

you told me that
"i will always be in your heart"
and
"we will always have these memories to hold onto"

SCREW THAT!

memories of you will never
keep me warm on a rainy night
and it will never be as warm as you...

your hands.

it won't guarantee my sanity, love.

everything is topsy-turvy.

the girl falls down. she struggles to get up

I LOVE YOU!

but i cannot.

i can't trust you.

i can't believe you.

because everything is bleak
no answers
no repose.

love, it's just a phase.

but how painful a phase it is.

you think...

silence is nothing? silence is calm...

silence is the noise of heartbreak.

everything was fine. even dandy.
we were happy.

but...

this act was played... late?

then you left.

then there was silence.

and all i had to do... was close my eyes and cry.
to take it all in. to partake of it by myself.

the audience snaps their fingers and the girl bows
---------------------------
hope you like it :)


0 Comments:

<< Home